Although shopping for a mattress seems simple enough – after all, they’re just pieces of foam right? Well, not quite. Over the past few years there have been a bevy of innovations to the mattress industry. With so many products on the market today, finding the best mattresses has become difficult. Many women (and men) find them selves sorting through hundreds of different options with no clear idea of what features are important and what products will last longer than a year or two.
Even if you know what kind of mattress you want, it can be difficult to narrow down the choices to just one. That’s why we put together a list of the best mattresses! From soft memory foam mattresses to luxury innerspring mattresses, this list has something for everyone.
Our Top Picks
The best mattresses are:
- Saatva – Editor’s Pick
- Brooklyn Bedding Signature – Best Mattress For Back Sleepers
- Helix Midnight– Best Hybrid Mattress
- WinkBeds – Best Firm Mattress
- DreamCloud Premier – Best Affordable Luxury
- Nectar – Best Value Mattress
- GhostBed – Best Cooling Mattress
- Nolah Original – Best Mattress For Side Sleepers
- Amerisleep AS3 – Best Memory Foam Mattress
- Casper – Best Mattress For Back Pain
The Saatva mattress features a two-layer construction. The top layer is a blend of polyfoam and gel memory foam, with some open-cell technology mixed in as well. Resting atop the top layer is a solid set of steel coils, which will provide great support for the weight that a sleeper places on them. Additionally, the coils are offset from one another to enhance their ability to conform to the natural curves of a sleeper’s body.
All foam mattresses are fantastic, but what about those who prefer more of that traditional coil mattress feel? Saatva’s products are designed to deliver a balanced blend of support and comfort without sacrificing the characteristics that make memory foam so popular.
There are all kinds of mattresses on the market, and a mattress geared towards all three sleeping positions is a rare find. Saatva is an all foam (memory foam, to be exact) mattress that offers almost unbeatable comfort and support for three sleeping positions – back, side and stomach.
What Makes The Saatva Stand Out?
- If you’re a side sleeper hoping for a mattress with a deliciously soft surface, the Saatva should be your choice. For back sleepers seeking the right mix of firm and soft, this mattress offers a level of support and comfort that will keep you happy.
- The mattress provides the comfort you’re looking for with a traditional innerspring feel and a softer pillow top.
- With its dual coil construction, our mattress will keep you cool while you sleep.
Best Value Mattress
Brooklyn Bedding Signature
The Brooklyn Signature is a hybrid mattress that comes in three firmnesses – Soft, Medium, and Firm. The Medium model is perfect for back sleepers and body types that need a good balance of comfort and support. It allows you to sink into your mattress just enough and retain your posture as the coils support you.
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature is a pillow top mattress that comes in three firmnesses – Soft, Medium, and Firm. If you are a back sleeper who needs firm support, look no further than the Brooklyn Bedding Signature model. The Medium version is exactly what most people need as it provides great support for your back and hips while still being soft enough to be comfortable. Brooklyn Bedding used some supportive coils to accomplish this so the mattress will hold up even over time.
The Brooklyn Bedding Signature Hybrid mattress differs from the rest of the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses because it is constructed out of steel instead of foam.
What Makes The Brooklyn Bedding Signature Stand Out?
- The Brooklyn Bedding Signature comes in three firmness options.
- The Medium model is one of the best mattresses for back sleepers.
- The company owns its own factory, allowing them to sell the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses at a very affordable price.
Best Hybrid Mattress
The Helix line of mattresses combines the best in hybrid technology with an ultra-convenient ordering process. The mattress is at an affordable price point, but that doesn’t mean the quality isn’t there, customers can choose from a variety of different models and each is tailored to the needs of specific sleepers.
Helix is known for their line of hybrid mattresses, but this doesn’t mean that they are only ideal for those who sleep on a regular mattress instead of a coil spring one. Helix offers quite a few different models in a wide range of prices, and they have everything from firm to plush in terms of mattress feel. People who sleep on a regular mattress often say that it can feel too firm, which isn’t very conducive to getting a good night’s sleep.
With a wide range of spring and foam models, Helix is sure to have the perfect mattress for everyone. They offer a few different firmness options and will customize your mattress based on your answers on their quiz. For couples who have trouble sleeping together, Helix offers customized sides of the mattress, so that each partner can enjoy exactly what they need.
Helix mattresses are ideal for back and stomach sleepers, as well as people who like to sleep on their sides. The Hybrid model is the most popular. Is the Helix mattress right for you? We want to help you answer this question by giving you a detailed analysis. Read Helix mattress review here.
What Makes The Helix Stand Out?
- Helix will customize each mattress to meet the needs of every customer.
- Customers can pick between six mattress models that vary in design, firmness, and feel.
- These are some of the best hybrid mattresses on the market.
- The Helix mattresses are some of the best mattresses for couples.
- Helix’s Luxe models offer more premium upgrades for their mattresses.
Best Value Mattress
WinkBeds mattresses stand out from the rest, as they are very different than your standard innerspring mattress. This premium brand offers four mattress options: Soft, Luxury Firm, Firm, and Plus. The luxe foam layers on all of their mattresses give the user something a little different than what one assumes when hearing the term “innerspring mattress” – the comfortable pillow top layer provides just enough plush to make it feel like a plush model while still providing great support from the firm coils below.
WinkBeds mattresses offer a luxury that should be satisfying for three major sleeping positions: back, side and stomach. The WinkBeds Luxury Firm mattress is a luxury innerspring mattress designed for those seeking a medium firmness mattress. This mattress features 7″ inches of supportive pocket coils and comfort coils, hand-tufted pillow top, luxury pearl, and a layer of gel memory foam. But it can feel a bit different than a memory foam mattress. Most sleepers will look at this as a major positive, as it feels more like a traditional mattress without sagging or more pressure from the hips while lying on one’s side.
Overall, I would recommend this mattress to those who want a luxurious innerspring mattress – they also come with impressive warranties and excellent return policy. Read WinkedBed mattress review here.
What Makes The WinkBeds Stand Out?
- The WinkBeds Luxury Firm contains two layers of coils and should be supportive enough for sleepers of many sizes.
- The mattress contains some very durable materials and should be a fantastic longterm investment.
- The WinkBeds should not sleep too hot because the coils allow for so much air to pass through the mattress.
- Customers have four firmness options, so it should be simple to find the perfect match.
This premium hybrid mattress offers the best of both worlds; a plush pillow top and a system of supportive coils, to cushion sleepers with supportive comfort. These materials provide a sleeping surface that is unmatched in support and shape-retaining comfort. And with a price that won’t break the bank, this bed is a great option for back and side sleepers alike. Read DreamCloud mattress review here.
What Makes The DreamCloud Premier Stand Out?
- It offers exceptional support and great comfort all at a value price.
- The DreamCloud Premier is well-suited for many different types of sleepers. It can support back and side sleepers well with its combination of materials.
- It’s made with durable materials that will stand the test of time.
Best Value Mattress
The Nectar mattress is a low profile, extra firm mattress with a cool cover that can be removed and washed. The interior of the mattress is comprised of three layers: gel-infused memory foam, Hi Core memory foam, and base support foam. The top of the mattress is made from a unique gel-infused memory foam. It allows heat to dissipate quickly so as to not disrupt sleep. This provides great pressure relief and gentle contouring for sleepers who generally sleep on their sides.
When it comes to mattresses, nobody wants to spend more than they have to. In fact, most people will want a mattress that is far more comfortable and stays supportive for longer than the standard option available at a big box store.
They are all high-density and high-quality and should offer comfort for a number of years. In addition to being an extremely comfortable mattress, the Nectar’s memory foam provides excellent pressure relief for side sleepers as well. It is also a high-quality mattress, so we honestly would expect the Nectar to cost more! Read Nectar mattress review here.
What Makes The Nectar Stand Out?
- The Nectar is a high-quality memory foam mattress that is also a great value.
- The Nectar is a comfortable mattress that should be a good match for back sleepers and side sleepers.
- The mattress features cooling materials to keep it from trapping too much heat.
Best Cooloing Mattress For Hot Sleeper
The GhostBed mattress is designed to offer great motion isolation, so you can sleep peacefully night after night, even if your partner tosses and turns. With the ideal balance of comfort and support for many sleeper types, this mattress offers a great night’s sleep all at an exceptional value.
GhostBed mattresses are made with an aerated latex foam comfort layer, a thin polyester cover that is breathable and cool to the touch, and an extra firm support layer. It uses latex foam as the middle, or comfort layer. It is exceptionally cool and it comes at a great, budget-friendly price.
The GhostBed offers a great combination of comfort and support, which makes it a great fit for you if you tend to sleep hot. If you’re also a latex foam mattress fan, the price on this mattress is really hard to beat.
What Makes The GhostBed One Of The Best?
- It’s a very cool and comfortable mattress that comes at a great value price.
- It will suit many different types of sleepers.
- It’s a very durable mattress that offers a lot of long-term support.
Best for Side Sleepers
The Nolah mattress is a great choice for side sleepers who are looking for a comfortable foam feel but need more support and pressure relief than many of the softer mattresses offer. The AirFoam layer is designed to allow sleepers to sink in just enough to relieve pressure points, while still providing support. Nolah also offers latex and hybrid versions of their mattress in case you are not a fan of foam.
Three-quarters of people naturally sleep on their side; indeed, side sleepers outnumber back and stomach sleepers by a ratio of three to one. Nolah was created with the side sleeper in mind. Sleeping on this mattress is one of the most comfortable experiences I’ve ever had.t is one of the most comfortable mattresses I have slept on.
It offers a proprietary AirFoam layer which is responsive yet relieves pressure extremely well, and it has an Avena foam transition layer which gives the mattress some bounce/stiffness, great for relieving pressure for heavier side sleepers.
Nolah offers two mattresses, the Signature and original Nolah, and I have been an enormous fan of the original for quite some time. Like the Layla, it is one of the most comfortable mattresses I have ever tried. Light- or medium-weight side sleepers with the Nolah mattress can expect excellent pressure relief – the mattress is really designed for those users who prefer to sleep on their side.
The signature Nolah mattress features a soft, quilted cover and 6 inches of Avena foam to keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
What Makes The Nolah Original Stand Out?
- The Nolah mattress features a proprietary AirFoam that is designed to relieve pressure very well.
- The mattress should be a fantastic option for lightweight and medium-weight side sleepers.
- Back sleepers should also feel well supported on the Nolah.
- AirFoam is also manufactured to not trap as much heat as memory foam, making the Nolah ideal for hot sleepers.
The AS3 from Amerisleep combines support and pressure relief with a medium-firm feel to create the perfect balance for those who switch positions throughout the night. This memory foam mattress has a Celliant cover and bio-based foams for an extra breathable night’s sleep, while also harnessing the pressure relief benefits that commonly come with memory foam. Each Amerisleep mattress is designed to have a sinking feel that will contour to your body for increased motion isolation. Couples will appreciate the responsiveness of each memory foam mattress, which brings extra comfort when changing sleep positions.
Built to last with a top layer of durable polyurethane and a hidden steel frame, the AS3 is sure to be comfortable for many years. Its foam layers are also designed for durability and bounce back beautifully after you lay down on it. As a bonus, the foam mattress reduces your carbon footprint and is made with a Celliant cover so you sleep cooler at night.
What Makes The Amerisleep AS3 Stand Out?
- It’s designed to avoid some common problems with memory foam mattresses like sinking in too far or trapping body heat.
- The AS3 is a great choice for people who sleep on their side or move around in multiple sleeping positions throughout the night.
- It does a great job isolating motion, making it a good fit for couples who share a bed.
Best for Back Pain
The Casper is designed to be a great fit for several different types of sleepers. Not only does it have a diverse set of comfort layers, but it also has a unique weight-to-density ratio that helps the mattress bounce back after each pressure point.
The Casper is an innovative mattress made of poly foam – memory foam, latex foam and a transition layer that provides the foundation for this firm and pressure relieving mattress. All 3 layers combine to make one of the most supportive mattresses around. You’ll love the softness and conforming memory foam feel whether you’re a back, side or stomach sleeper. If you’re looking for a supportive memory foam mattress, then the Casper is an excellent option.
The Casper mattress is one of the most comfortable and affordable options available for anyone who struggles with back pain and wants to sleep better. A soft, responsive layer of memory foam is combined with a firmer transition layer in the middle for support from head to toe. When you want a bed that gives you ample support and response for tossing and turning throughout the night, but also provides some of that luxurious, slow-moving memory foam feel, try the Casper. Read Casper mattress review here.
What Makes The Casper Stand Out?
- The Casper features Zoned Support which makes the mattress both supportive and comfortable.
- The mattress should be ideal for combination sleepers, couples, and those who have back pain.
- The Casper contains open-celled foams that make it breathable and a fantastic option for hotter sleepers.
If People Just Aren’t Sure
A mattress is an important investment and one that is used every night. That is why custom mattresses are a good idea for many people. They have more options and can design a mattress to fit all of the specific needs that they want. Helix does offer some wonderful technology. It uses materials that have been infused into the product to be hypoallergenic, which is something that some people will find very attractive. Additionally, this company allows people to both side customize their mattress and choose different types of materials, including coils or latex.
Factors We Consider
We take a number of factors into consideration when conducting our reviews. Some of the factors are objective, while others are more subjective. Here’s a quick list of what we examine.
How You Can Find The Right Mattress For You
A quality mattress can last for years, but finding the best mattress is not easy. With all of the options available, from innerspring to memory foam, foam density to pocket coils, there are many factors to consider. We will break down all the factors you should consider to find the mattress that is perfect for you.
The most common sleeping positions are on your back, side, or stomach. Knowing and naming your primary sleeping position is important because it can affect the type of mattress you choose. Here’s a breakdown of each position to help you understand what’s best for you.
Although it usually comes down to personal preference, there are some factors you should consider before purchasing a super plush mattress from the store. We would advise consumers not to pick a mattress that is super soft or super firm. A mattress is measured on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the softest and 10 being the most firm. Most people will feel most comfortable and supported when they have a medium to medium-firm mattress, which is about a 5-8 on the firmness scale.
The right mattress firmness as discussed above is measured on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the softest and 10 being the most firm. While personal preference does play a role in your decision, you also need to consider your body weight. Heavy people need a firmer mattress since they will apply more weight to the surface than lighter people. Whereas, someone who sleeps flat on their back may want something more plush to relieve pressure points caused from lying in one position for long periods of time.
To help you explore which mattress firmness level is right for you, check out our guides and top picks in those categories:
- Firm Vs Soft Mattresses: Which Is Best?
- Best Firm Mattresses
- Best Soft Mattresses
Here are our best mattress picks for your budget:
- Best Budget Mattresses (Cheap & Affordable Options)
- Best Luxury Mattresses (Premium Beds)
- Best Mattresses For The Money (Get A Bang For Your Buck)
- Best Mattresses Under $500
- Best Mattresses Under $1,000
- Best Mattresses Under $2,000
Finding The Best Mattress Company
The Internet is a good place to buy a mattress; however, it doesn’t always indicate which companies are the best. Some shoppers may want to start by restricting their search to the best manufacturers.
Now, read our piece on how to buy a mattress online. Also, here are a few factors you can look for to distinguish between different mattress companies.